Thứ Năm, 5 tháng 2, 2009

David Beckham makes a declaration of intent

David Beckham finally confirmed last night that he hopes that his loan deal from the Los Angeles Galaxy to AC Milan will be turned into a permanent move to the Italian club, after Milan officials admitted that they had opened talks with the Californian club about the player’s transfer.
Beckham spoke after Milan’s 2-2 draw with Rangers in a friendly in Glasgow, in which the former England captain played for 45 minutes. Before the match, Leandro Cantamessa, the Milan lawyer, had joined forces with Beckham’s advisers in discussion with Tim Leiweke, the Galaxy president, about releasing the player from his MLS contract.
A permanent move to Milan by Beckham would not fall foul of Uefa’s transfer window restrictions if Galaxy agreed to cancel his contract.
“I’ve expressed my desire to stay with Milan,” Beckham said. “The matter is out of my hands but I hope I can stay. I’ve made it clear now that it is my intention to stay with the club, so we’ll have to wait and see.
Related Links
Beckham lawyers in talks over permanent move
I'm tempted to stay at Milan, says Beckham
Uefa Cup for David Beckham
Multimedia
Beckham makes a big impression in Milan-->
“I want to stay because this is one of the biggest clubs in the world. Playing for Milan has been an incredible experience for me — better than I thought it would be. I’ve been welcomed into the team incredibly well, I’ve been made to feel at home, and it has made me want to stay. Confidence-wise and physical-wise, this has been one of the best things to happen to me.”
Beckham admitted that he is not sure how his American employers would respond to the news and also said that he was wary of upsetting Leiweke, with whom he has had a good relationship.
“I don’t know how Galaxy will react,” Beckham said. “But I respect Galaxy and Tim Leiweke — he has done a lot for me since I moved over there. But I have expressed my desire to stay with Milan and I hope the clubs can reach an agreement. I expected to enjoy it at Milan but I never expected to enjoy it as much as I have. For one thing, I hardly expected to play in every game, as I have, so I’m really enjoying it.
“I haven’t spoken to the Galaxy yet, but someone has from my side, and it is literally down to them to hopefully come to an agreement. I hope they can do a deal. I’ve done everything that I can.”
Beckham hopes to be named in Fabio Capello’s England squad on Saturday for Wednesday’s friendly against Spain and believes that a move back to Europe would enhance his prospects. The 2010 World Cup finals, he said, remains on his radar.
“It is important for me to be involved in 2010 but my main objective now is to stay at Milan and play at the highest level,” Beckham said. “It would give me more of a chance [] if I was playing here. I’ve not spoken to \ but he’s had his staff at most of the [] games since I’ve come back. Hopefully, I will be involved. The manager is always the same: if you are playing well and doing well, then you will be in.”
Carlo Ancelotti, the Milan coach, wants Beckham to stay, as Adriano Galliani, the club’s vice-president, made plain yesterday. “We are looking to get him either on loan until the end of the season or on a permanent basis,” he said. “Beckham’s lawyers are talking to the Galaxy, and if they are ready to do a deal, we would be really happy.
“The scudetto race would be much easier for us if he stays. Beckham has given us a boost in quality and enthusiasm. He has given this team an added extra, in the way he plays, his focus, his quality of assist and in the goals that he has scored. He has made a great contribution.”
Last night’s friendly at Ibrox was never going to be the kind of match to have you on the edge of your seat. Rangers are reputed to have paid Milan more than £250,000 to spend fewer than 24 hours in Glasgow, and in such affairs, tackles are all but outlawed.
Beckham padded about the pitch, lofting a pass here and there, but looked more than a mite puggled before being substituted at half-time. Milan want to preserve him in more ways than one

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét